[RTTY] VP6DI

To: <rtty@contesting.com>
Subject: [RTTY] VP6DI
From: k8vt@ameritech.net (Carter Grabarczyk)
Date: Sun, 24 Mar 2002 20:26:17 -0500
xxx@yyy.com wrote:

> Maybe RTTY is a frill.

It's a little scary the way this "frill" thing is being bandied about.

1. It has been pointed out that "frill" was said by ONE pilot station,
not the crew on the island.

2. The original STATED PURPOSE of the expedition was to work as many as
possible, mostly on 15 meter CW and SSB-NOT PSK, SSTV or RTTY, so this
should not come as too big of a surprise.

3. Many of the crew are inexperienced in the ways of running a
DX'pedition and are there to learn. Don't leave a sour taste in their
mouth with all the complaining.

4. Yes, internet logs would be nice and yes, it would lighten up the
number of "insurance contacts", but it wasn't so long ago (and maybe
still) that internet logs were (are?) the frill. How ever did we get
along????

It's only a hobby---lighten up and enjoy. Be thankful that somebody went
half way around the world, spent a ton of money and hauled a ton of gear
so we can play...

73/Carter/K8VT

P.S. Yes, I got frustrated too, but they're in my log (twice) and if I
can do it with a 100 watts and a 30 foot high dipole, so can anyone
(which looks dangerously close to their stated objective!).

Heat shields deployed and asbestos suit on and buttoned up...  <grin>