[RTTY] VP6DI

To: <rtty@contesting.com>
Subject: [RTTY] VP6DI
From: edlyn@california.com (Eddie Schneider)
Date: Sun, 24 Mar 2002 18:16:13 -0800
----- Original Message -----
From: "Carter Grabarczyk" <k8vt@ameritech.net>

> 1. It has been pointed out that "frill" was said by ONE pilot station,
> not the crew on the island.

That pilot station has as much tact as a bull in a china shop!

> 2. The original STATED PURPOSE of the expedition was to work as many as
> possible, mostly on 15 meter CW and SSB-NOT PSK, SSTV or RTTY, so this
> should not come as too big of a surprise.

Then why are they messing with the WARC bands, 40/80/160 etc al ?

15 and 20m could/would/should cover the world and ensure that their original
STATED PURPOSE had a better chance of being achieved, rather than giving
propagation advantaged USA/JA multiple Qsos on the above mentioned bands. About
TWO hours a day on 15/20m RTTY would have been ALL it took to satisfy the
'frill' mode user's appertite.

Why is it ALWAYS the RTTY gear that gets broken? Mics and keyers always survive
eh?

Yep, I know, it is their show, money etc. but....

> 3. Many of the crew are inexperienced in the ways of running a
> DX'pedition and are there to learn. Don't leave a sour taste in their
> mouth with all the complaining.

Bad move on the organiser's part, but see above.

> 4. Yes, internet logs would be nice and yes, it would lighten up the
> number of "insurance contacts", but it wasn't so long ago (and maybe
> still) that internet logs were (are?) the frill. How ever did we get
> along????

> It's only a hobby---lighten up and enjoy. Be thankful that somebody went
> half way around the world, spent a ton of money and hauled a ton of gear
> so we can play...

True, but IMO and FWIW (about 1 Euro), their original STATED PURPOSE has gone
out the window.

> PS  Heat shields deployed and asbestos suit on and buttoned up...  <grin>

Eddie Schneider <<< sleeps in a water bed :)