Re: [RTTY] Re: WTB: PK232

To: rtty@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [RTTY] Re: WTB: PK232
From: Jerry Flanders <jeflanders@comcast.net>
Date: Mon, 31 May 2004 02:35:12 +0000
At 19:17 5/30/04, KL0S/4 wrote:
Bill makes a good point that the software programs do a pretty good job....I
use a Hal ST-8000 as the "front end" for a PK-232 (a ST-6 feeds the other)
and can watch the copy of that setup over on the Mac while simultaneously
running the soundcard programs on the PC.  Although they're "close" the
hardware solution consistently beats the software route (but actually not by
too much), at least for now.

I suspect that not very many of us have actually hooked up an analog modem as the front end to a PK232, but as one who has run a similar setup for years, I can confirm what KL0S says. I have an ST-6 that is optimized for 60 WPM (45 baud) and an ST6000 that is optimized for 100 WPM and either can slightly outperform stock MMTTY most of the time. I currently use them in my SO2R setup without the PK232 as simple "Dumb Terminals" alongside Writelog's sound card demod in a clone window, with MMTTY running stand-alone as a backup monitor. There are times when one of these is better than the other two, but in general, one of the HAL ST demods will outperform the others slightly.

Jerry W4UK