RE: [RTTY] Distortion

To: "VE3XD" <ve3xd@rogers.com>, RTTY@contesting.com
Subject: RE: [RTTY] Distortion
From: Jerry Flanders <jeflanders@comcast.net>
Date: Wed, 25 Aug 2004 15:24:38 +0000
At 11:29 8/25/04, VE3XD wrote:
... the Yaesu rigs are really generating AFSK was
interesting and maybe confirms my opinion that the switch to FSK is not as
important as I once thought.

Yaesu is not simply using AFSK - that is not the correct way to think of it. Yaesu rigs are simply adding one more heterodyne conversion to their internal processing to get the signal on the air.

The frequency of generation of the original RTTY signal inside the rig doesn't matter. All modern rigs generate the original RTTY signal at one frequency, then convert it in one or multiple stages to the final transmitter frequency. Some rigs do it at one intermediate frequency, some at another. My FT1000D does it at 2125/2295 Hz, and my 756PRO does it around 36 KHz (IIRC). As long as the engineering is done correctly and the rig isn't defective, you can't tell the difference at the receiving end. An external amp doesn't even need to be linear!

The major difference between what hams call AFSK and what Yaesu does in their rigs is that Yaesu has engineered their rig to up-convert cleanly this way, as opposed to the usual AFSK system where the guy in the shack does all the setup and adjustments to get the signal on the air. Some of us can do it properly, but many apparently can not.

Jerry W4UK