RE: [RTTY] Distortion

To: <W0YR@aol.com>, <rtty@contesting.com>
Subject: RE: [RTTY] Distortion
From: "VE3XD" <ve3xd@rogers.com>
Date: Tue, 24 Aug 2004 14:18:07 -0400
Let me explain why I still use AFSK. It's not that I want to but rather that
it is the only RTTY mode I've been able to make work. I'm not an electronics
technician or anything close but I can usually get things to work however
FSK has had me stymied. This doesn't seem right as it is seemingly a rather
simple mode to implement providing the right tools are available; ie. rig,
interface, computer, and software. Well I have all four and yet no dice.

1. Rig: Mark V with the FSK direct input available. I still use AFSK on the
packet jack and it works well.

2. Interface: Rigblaster Plus. According to the manual it is supposed to
support FSK. I found several references to this, one being an article in QST
that mentioned the need to use a jumper on the TXD pin. But there was no
other tangible help in the article. Several other posts I found mentioned
TXD but the references were obscure and of little value as there was no
further discussion. There is no helpful information on the West Mountain
website either about FSK with the Plus.

3. Computer: Still using a W98SE P450 devoted to the shack that does
everything else well, CW, PSK, phone, logging, packet. Two serial
interfaces, one for CW and one for rig control.

4. Software: Mainly Writelog with the MMTTY engine for RTTY. As with the RB
there is very little in the help files for these programs giving directions
in setting up FSK. Especially when things don't work exactly as they
suggest. I've tried both with and without MMTTY and also MMTTY standalone
but no go.

So after 3 days of messing with the above before the weekend I gave up and
went back to AFSK. Oh yes, when I restored all the settings CW would not
work. Another hour to sort that out.

So the question is whether it's worth the effort to make the switch. I have
done very well in the past with AFSK. I have got to wonder whether anyone
has ever noticed the difference. Especially as I only run low power.

Don VE3XD