Re: [RTTY] 17" flat panel prices

To: RTTY Reflector <rtty@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [RTTY] 17" flat panel prices
From: Peter Laws <plaws@plaws.net>
Date: Fri, 5 Nov 2004 13:41:55 -0600 (CST)
On Fri, 5 Nov 2004, David Hachadorian wrote:

-> That's pretty small print. The thing I don't like about LCD monitors is
-> the fact that, if you run them at anything other than their native
-> resolution, the picture, especially text, gets fuzzy. That is a good
-> price, though.

Change the font size.

Unfortunately, many developers, like many users, think that you change the
size of the type on the screen by going to lower resolution (i.e. 800 x
600).  The correct way is to adjust the font size, which Windows allows.
Like I said, though, some GUIs don't do well with font sizes other than
"normal".

I ran MMTTY and N1MM this morning and had no issues with fonts.  And it's
so *crisp* after the ancient MAG CRT. :-)

Native res for this unit is 1280x1024.  The framebuffer defaulted to 60
Hz, which is fairly standard for LCDs and I haven't experimented to see if
higher refresh rates are better or even work.  For those that are used to
CRTs, 60 Hz horiz refresh is fine on an LCD - no flicker.

Peter Laws
N5UWY/9
WAC (phone)
WAS #51466 (SSB)