Re: [RTTY] Re: Contest Happenings??

To: rtty@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [RTTY] Re: Contest Happenings??
From: "Ian White, G3SEK" <G3SEK@ifwtech.co.uk>
Date: Wed, 26 Jan 2005 05:51:42 +0000
Shelby Summerville wrote:
I said: "Personally, I fail to see any reason to acknowledge the "other
station's"
report:", and what I meant was "there is no reason to acknowledge the other
station's ACTUAL exchange"!!!

Still a slight confusion here. Most people understand "acknowledge" to mean a simple confirmation of receipt by sending nothing more than "R", "QSL" or "TU".

As I'm understanding you now, you're saying there is no need to repeat back what the other station sent to you - and I'd agree 100% with that.

I don't need to know that you copied my serial
number correctly, that is your responsibility!

Agreed again. It's a two-way contract between two operators who trust each other's judgement. I trust you to log my info correctly... and until you are completely satisfied, I trust you to keep asking for repeats and *not* send an ack. Therefore I will hang in with the QSO until I *do* receive an ack, and will NEVER log a QSO without it.

At least, that's my experience after 20 years of moonbounce QSOs, most of them at very weak signal levels where you have to be *completely* clear about what a QSO is - or is not.