RE: [RTTY] Re: Contest Happenings??

To: "'Shelby Summerville'" <k4ww@arrl.net>,"'rtty-contesting'" <rtty@contesting.com>
Subject: RE: [RTTY] Re: Contest Happenings??
From: "W7TMT" <w7tmt@dayshaw.net>
Date: Wed, 26 Jan 2005 16:47:33 -0800
Shelby,

Regarding your comment below...

I guess that makes your favorable response to my single request (I
included an SASE) for a card to confirm your state on 160 (from the
2004 ARRL 160 contest) even more valuable. For us low power, city-lot
folks here on the Left Coast "real QSO's" and thus the cards from your
side of the continent can be pretty hard to come by. I'm only two
states short of WAS on 160 (worked not confirmed despite my best
efforts - always including an SASE etc.) but if contest QSO's (errrrr
contacts) were eliminated it would be another decade or two before I
could even hope to accomplish that goal.

I do BTW, understand part of your point. The last envelope I received
from the bureau brought my total of cards received over the years from
a single JA to 33. Yes, I have responded to all of them before but I
do wonder why they keep coming.

While "excess" QSLing is irritating I would hate to see contest Q's
not considered "QSO's" and thus not worthy of a card when needed. Most
every treatise on contesting indicates that many if not the majority
of the "casual" participants are there to pick up new states,
countries, etc. I'm not sure the sport can stand to lose them if we
take their primary reason for participation (a potential QSL) away.

73 (and thanks for the card.)

Patrick
W7TMT