Re: [RTTY] Re: Contest Happenings??

To: rtty-contesting <rtty@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [RTTY] Re: Contest Happenings??
From: Kok Chen <chen@mac.com>
Date: Wed, 26 Jan 2005 09:14:00 -0800
On Jan 26, 2005, at 6:58 AM, Bill Turner wrote:
If I understand you correctly, the %X macro would REPEAT my report
back to me?

The %X macro in cocoaModem is simply a macro which fetches the received exchange field. How it is (ab)used by the operator, including placing it in a transmitted string, is up to them.

If the received exchange is "CA," %X will be the substitution string "CA" without the RST (in cocoaModem, RST or PSB for most contest templates is in a separate and 599-defaulted field that you usually don't have to touch, but one that can be edited before being entered in the log, in case the guy at the other end sends you a 549).

You will not see %X in the standard contest templates which I provide for exchanges, since I have myself never echoed back any part of the received exchange in the few years that I have engaged in contests. But people make a hobby of overriding the macro templates that I provide.

With cocoaModem, I leave it up to Darwin to take care of those who do not leave well enough (i.e., what I provide, of course, HI) alone. And if Darwin is too slow moving, I take features away when I see them misused (no joke, I have already done that a couple of times).

In cocoaModem, %X has a companion %x, which is the sent exchange macro. I have maintained this kind of symmetry (a mad man's mind works in mysterious ways) in a couple of other places. %C is the other person's call sign and %c is your own call sign, for example.

Even though there is a 4-digit macro for UTC time for use in contest exchanges that need them, the one thing that I have utterly refused to implement is a string macro which has the current date and time in its full glory. It only encourages the LIDs. Let them type it in if they feel that strongly about announcing to the world the date and time at which they have entered the QSO into the log.

73
Chen, W7AY