Re: [RTTY] Radio interference problem

To: "K8JWT" <k8jwt@adelphia.net>, <RTTY@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [RTTY] Radio interference problem
From: Jeff Stai WK6I <wk6i@twistedoak.com>
Date: Wed, 28 Dec 2005 10:07:58 -0800
At 06:45 PM 12/27/2005, K8JWT wrote:
>Sorry for adressing multiple reflectors but this problem is killing my
>capabilities to operate.
>
>I am receiving interference from my computer monitor mainly in the 20 meter
>band that almost obliterates the PSK-31/RTTY section of the band. I have tried
>the available chokes from Radio Shack with no improvement. This interference
>also effects 15meters slightly. No problems with 40 or 80 meters.
>
>Monitor is about 4 feet away from the radio/tuner setup with cables for each
>seperated as well as possible. Monitor is almost brand new CRT type. I have
>returned to point of purchase for exchange which they did but the problem
>persists.

I have found the RS chokes less than useful - get some real ones, type
77 material - I've bought from these guys with success:
http://www.cwsbytemark.com/blprice.php

If you haven't, put the computer and monitor on a UPS or at least a
surge protector of the proper rating to isolate it from RFI coming in
from the power cord.

The suggestion to get the ARRL RFI book is a good one. I solved all of
my RFI issues with the help of that book.

Best answer, however, is to find a good price on a big beautiful 19"
LCD - costco.com has several for under $300. I'm very happy with mine
- I can fit four MMTTY windows and writelog all on the same screen!-)

good luck! - jeff wk6i

--
Jeff Stai               jds@twistedoak.com
Twisted Oak Winery      http://www.twistedoak.com/