Re: [RTTY] ARRL Bandwidth Proposal - FCC Invites Comments

To: "'Jim Preston'" <jpreston1@cox.net>, <rtty@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [RTTY] ARRL Bandwidth Proposal - FCC Invites Comments
From: "Joe Subich, W4TV" <k4ik@subich.com>
Date: Fri, 13 Jan 2006 12:07:36 -0500
Jim,

ARRL and others promoting regulation by bandwidth have stated
that the bandwidth limits are maximum and not minimum.  Thus
"conventional" RTTY would receive a significant expansion in
the available spectrum.  RTTY (digital) would no longer be
excluded from the "phone bands."

In general the most objectionable portions of the ARRL proposal
are:

  1) the lack of required "listen before transmit" protocols
     for any station which automatically responds to calls
     (also known as "semi-automatic operation").

  2) the lack of a requirement that all digital protocols be
     published and freely available in working form to enable
     monitoring and "self-policing"

  3) the lack of bandwidth regulation in 160 meters

  4) the wideband allocation on 30 meters.

73,

    ... Joe, W4TV