Re: [RTTY] ARRL Bandwidth Proposal - FCC Invites Comments

To: RTTY Reflector <rtty@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [RTTY] ARRL Bandwidth Proposal - FCC Invites Comments
From: Kok Chen <chen@mac.com>
Date: Sun, 15 Jan 2006 15:12:48 -0800
On Jan 15, 2006, at 1:12 PM, Peter Laws wrote:
> Absolutely the protocol should be open, but we have to be just as sure
> that its use remains royalty free.

Why do you insist that it be royalty free?  Royalties prevent someone
from fiscally profiting from your intellectual labors without sharing
it with you.

If I am building something for my personal use, royalty does not come
into play.  If I am building software that is based on open protocols
which I give away for free, the royalty holder can have his cut --
any percentage that he wishes :-).

73
Chen, W7AY (capitalist pig)