Re: [RTTY] uh, what about spectrum?

To: Jeff Stai WK6I <wk6i@twistedoak.com>, <rtty@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [RTTY] uh, what about spectrum?
From: Mike <k4gmh@arrl.net>
Date: Sun, 15 Jan 2006 23:10:58 -0500
Hello Jeff,

Reading the August 10, 2004, "Planned ARRL Petition to the FCC to
Regulate Subbands by Bandwidth", and it says:
    * At the present time, RTTY and data emissions are permitted by
FCC rule throughout the HF "CW subbands." It is only through
compliance with "gentlemen's agreements" that RTTY and data signals
are not heard in the parts of the band that are generally used for
CW. The proposed rules would limit bandwidth in these "CW subbands" to 200 Hz.
    * Bandwidth in the existing "RTTY/data subbands" would be limited
by rule to either 500 Hz or 3 kHz. In the following subbands where 3
kHz would be permitted, phone emissions would specifically not be
permitted: 3650-3725, 7100-7125, 14100-14150, and 21150-21200 kHz.
The reason for this is to encourage the development of higher-speed
data communications in these subbands by preventing them from
becoming de facto "expanded phone bands." The prior ARRL proposal to
expand some HF phone bands is included in the separate FCC Notice of
Proposed Rule Making, WT Docket No. 04-140, and is taken into account
in these new proposals.
    * "Amateurs would not be required to be able to measure the
bandwidth of their signals. The proposed bandwidths are more than
sufficient for "clean" signals using the traditional HF modes. We
have had regulation by bandwidth for certain data operations for many
years without fomenting great debate over whether or not a particular
signal was legal. Measurement would only arise as a potential problem
for those who try to push the edge of the envelope.
>        * At the present time, RTTY and data emissions are permitted
> by FCC rule throughout the HF "CW subbands." It is only through
> compliance with "gentlemen's agreements" that RTTY and data signals
> are not heard in the parts of the band that are generally used for
> CW. The proposed rules would limit bandwidth in these "CW subbands" to 200 Hz.
>        * Bandwidth in the existing "RTTY/data subbands" would be
> limited by rule to either 500 Hz or 3 kHz. In the following
> subbands where 3 kHz would be permitted, phone emissions would
> specifically not be permitted: 3650-3725, 7100-7125, 14100-14150,
> and 21150-21200 kHz. The reason for this is to encourage the
> development of higher-speed data communications in these subbands
> by preventing them from becoming de facto "expanded phone bands."
> The prior ARRL proposal to expand some HF phone bands is included
> in the separate FCC Notice of Proposed Rule Making, WT Docket No.
> 04-140, and is taken into account in these new proposals.
>        * Amateurs would not be required to be able to measure the
> bandwidth of their signals. The proposed bandwidths are more than
> sufficient for "clean" signals using the traditional HF modes. We
> have had regulation by bandwidth for certain data operations for
> many years without fomenting great debate over whether or not a
> particular signal was legal. Measurement would only arise as a
> potential problem for those who try to push the edge of the envelope."
  Since I use 170 Hz shift (bandwidth) and the DX stations I have
contacted in and out of contests are also 170 Hz shift, the ARRL
proposal should not impacting my operation in the 3520 - 3525 KHz
area and below 7030 KHz and below 3580 KHz.  Am I not reading it
correct?  Is there another ARRL or FCC document/proposal I should be
looking at?