Re: [RTTY] ARRL Bandwidth Proposal - FCC Invites Comments

To: <psussman@pactor.com>, "'Joe Subich, W4TV'" <k4ik@subich.com>
Subject: Re: [RTTY] ARRL Bandwidth Proposal - FCC Invites Comments
From: "Dave" <aa6yq@ambersoft.com>
Date: Sun, 15 Jan 2006 19:40:38 -0500
I don't recall Pactor's reputation being tarnished by poor AEA  and MFJ
implementations. But if AEA's and MFJ's implementations were in fact
sub-standard, then they were doing SCS a favor by expanding the base of
Pactor-I users and creating an upsell opportunity to "the one that really
works". If they SCS failed to capitalize on this opportunity, the open
protocol specification was not to blame.

Today, the strategy of agreeing on open specifications and competing on
implementations is a major driver in computing and telecommunications.
Closed specifications make sense when the objective is to harvest a niche
market, but long-term adoption and growth require open specifications.

Metcalfe's Law: a network's value is proportional to the square of the
number of users.

  73,

     Dave, AA6YQ