Re: [RTTY] ARRL Bandwidth Proposal - FCC Invites Comments

To: rtty@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [RTTY] ARRL Bandwidth Proposal - FCC Invites Comments
From: Art Searle W2NRA <w2nra@optonline.net>
Date: Fri, 13 Jan 2006 23:27:03 -0500
The last draft I saw had the following language in:

ARRL >  30 m band: This proposes 200 and 500-Hz bandwidths but does not
propose 3 kHz,
ARRL >  which would open the band to phone operation or other
voice-bandwidth modes. It
ARRL >  is ARRL's view that voice-bandwidth emissions should not be
permitted in this band
ARRL >  because of this relatively narrow secondary international allocation
and the need to
ARRL >  avoid interference to the primary service in other countries.

Then Dave Sumner said in "Narrowing the Bandwidth Issues"

"A segment for 3-kHz bandwidth (no phone) of 10.135-10.150 MHz to
accommodate existing and planned future digital operations."

I see in the final version the language has been weakened to:

ARRL >  30 m band:  This proposes 200 Hz, 500HZ and 3.5 kHz bandwidths.
While
ARRL >  telephony is not encouraged in this band due to the relatively
narrow, secondary
ARRL >  allocation status of the Amateur Service, this can best be regulated
by voluntary
ARRL >  band planning.

The ARRL's stated position is against phone on 30 meters.  Who will have
control over developing a band plan?

73 Art W2NRA