Re: [RTTY] Answering QSL's - again

To: "Tom Osborne" <w7why@verizon.net>, "RTTY" <rtty@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [RTTY] Answering QSL's - again
From: "Phil Cooper" <pcooper@guernsey.net>
Date: Thu, 9 Mar 2006 19:06:00 -0000
Hi Tom, and the group,

Don't feel chastised! It is only obvious if you know. I am sure there are
plenty of folk who do this, and I guess for the average G, DL, IK, SP, or
even a W for that matter, it is never a problem.
I do find it happens to me occasionally, but that is probably down to being
a GU.

I have even had QSL's that are blank, suggesting I fill in whatever
band/mode slots I need, and reply to the card! Needless to say that those
always go in the round filing tray under the desk!

As for time, well, I always check through the log for a few minutes either
side, as it is unlikely to be more than a few minutes either way, although I
have had occasions when it has been an hour out!
I also check against calls that I may just have logged incorrectly! That has
happened under poor conditions, where I have logged - for example - W7WHU
instead of W7WHY, so if the time/band/mode match up, then I will correct
things this end, and you will get the card.

Apart from that, you might just find that they have put the wrong date on
the card. I recently had some direct cards for contacts made in the RTTY
Roundup, and I had 3 that put the contact down as Sunday, when in fact it
was the Saturday.

On occasions, if I get a card for a contact that isn't in my log, I will
check back in the text file generated by MMTTY as a screendump, and see if I
can find the call. There are times when it was noticeable as to how they
thought they had worked me.
Yes, that does mean I keep the text files! I zip them up along with all the
other files generated by Writelog after a contest, and save them.
I also tend to save the screendump after working some nice new DX. This has
proved to be useful on the odd occasion!
Besides, it is quite pleasing to look back and see the text of the QSO! One
such was a contact with XR0Y!
More ESP than DSP, but I made it!

Anyway. 73 for now

Phil GU0SUP