Re: [RTTY] Have RTTY ops become SSB ops?

To: RTTY List <rtty@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [RTTY] Have RTTY ops become SSB ops?
From: Jim Reisert AD1C <jjreisert@alum.mit.edu>
Date: Wed, 13 Dec 2006 13:26:38 -0800 (PST)
> RTTY ops didn't used to act like this.
> That's why I like(d) RTTY.  What happened?

Lots of factors, some having nothing to do with ham radio.

Common courtesy - or lack thereof.

Our wired, fast-paced society encourages people to do things quickly.  Stepping
on others isn't seen as much of a problem.

Packet lets everyone know right away where the DX is and where s/he's
listening.  Instant pileup.  No need for DX training or pileup obedience
school, just follow the spots.  Spots let you "hear" the DX, even if your radio
can't.

DXCC Challenge.  Need to get all those band/modes confirmed.

RTTY is 10x easier to get on now than it was 10 years ago.  So more calling.
Pileup character follows the same bell curve as other modes - poor to excellent
operators.

73 - Jim AD1C

USA +978-251-9933, <jjreisert@alum.mit.edu>, http://www.ad1c.us