Re: [RTTY] Have RTTY ops become SSB ops?

To: RTTY List <rtty@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [RTTY] Have RTTY ops become SSB ops?
From: Kok Chen <chen@mac.com>
Date: Thu, 14 Dec 2006 10:39:25 -0800
On Dec 14, 2006, at 2:40 PM, va3dx@sympatico.ca wrote:

>>> I don't think Jim was blaming packet per se, just that it makes it
>>> easier for the lids to jump on a frequency all at once. Without
>>> packet
>>> in the olden days, it took some time and that spread out the QRM.
>>> Nowdays a single packet spot can cause havoc.
>
> Packet may help them find the pileup, but it wont prevent
> poor operators from giving ill timed, incessant calls.....

You have to think percentages, Glenn.

There is always a small fraction who calls accidentally...

... and there will always be a fraction who calls out of turn as a
habit, although it is debatable if the fraction itself is actually
increasing.

(Even if it is increasing, the fraction itself can't keep increasing
by very much per year -- otherwise in a span of just ten years,
everybody will be calling out of turn :-P.)

A packet spot will bring in more ops.  If the fraction of poor ops
remains the same, the absolute number of them is larger with the
existence of the packet mechanism.

Get rid of packet, and the absolute number of out of turn callers
will go down.

Didn't one of the MicroLite operations (the one to Thule and King
George?) specifically asked that people *not* spot them?

It is funny that this topic cropped up because just recently, a
DXpedition station had called out one of our big gun RTTY ops on this
reflector as being an offender who kept stomping on a weak station
while the DX was trying to work the weak station.  I was watching the
pile while this was happening and could see that the DX had not
mistaken the call sign.  So I guess it happens to all of us now and
then.

I also saw the same DX station call out someone who'd repeatedly
transmitted on his frequency and not working the transgressor for an
hour even after he had moved away from the DX' frequency.  The
offender was pleading over and over in long messages, after he'd
moved and you know the DX was reading it since he would be quiet when
the groveling was occurring :-).

There are some stations who are consistent pests and I am sure each
of us has our own mental "black book."

73
Chen, W7AY