Re: [RTTY] 160

To: 'RTTY' <rtty@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [RTTY] 160
From: Ed <k4sb@comcast.net>
Date: Thu, 22 Feb 2007 16:57:12 +0000
Eric - VE3GSI wrote:

I really would like to jump on to 160 Meters with RTTY and am
wondering if any of you fellows have any stories you can share with
me...

OK, admittedly 160 is difficult. But, if the necessary real estate is
available, I've always preferred a "T" to an inverted L. I have a
lone ground rod about 50 feet from my crankup ( 89' + 15' mast ) and
I run a Dacron light weight rope from the top of the tower to a tree.

That gives me about 90' of vertical. Then I "T" the antenna.

Not great, especially on receive, but it works.

Now, if you really want to go at it, fly a weather balloon to a
full .5 wave, feed it with a LC circuit and go from there. That
antenna
will knock your socks off on Tx, unfortunately, on receive, it's bad
because of the high noise.

73
Ed