Re: [RTTY] 160

To: Bill Turner <dezrat@copper.net>
Subject: Re: [RTTY] 160
From: Bill Coleman <aa4lr@arrl.net>
Date: Wed, 21 Feb 2007 20:56:01 -0500
On Feb 21, 2007, at 11:09 AM, Bill Turner wrote:

> Right now, it's catch-22. Since there are no 160 meter RTTY contests,
> not many stations are equipped for it. Since not many stations are
> equipped for it, there are no 160 meter contests.

The most logical contest to incorporate 160m would be the NAQP --
where 6-band capability and the ability to find and/or pass
multipliers is crucial to making top scores.

I know that I didn't seriously consider 160m capability at my station
until I got more serious about the NAQP.

You'd also be pleasantly surprised at how many stations can be worked
with compromise or even completely dysfunctional antennas on 160m. I
have a couple of dozen CW and SSB contacts on 160m made with nothing
more than an R7000, mis-match and all.

             -- Wilbur Wright, 1901