Re: [RTTY] re the blacklisting

To: RTTY <rtty@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [RTTY] re the blacklisting
From: "Doug Hall" <k4dsp.doug@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 17 Apr 2007 15:03:16 -0400
On 4/17/07, Jim Reisert AD1C <jjreisert@alum.mit.edu> wrote:
> When I was in the Galapagos in September 2002, I got on 30 meter CW after the
> RTTY contest was over (after dinner).  I ran for a few hours sending "up 1"
> but
> the pileup was big.  Most of the guys I worked were up 2.  I worked 400
> stations in 3 hours, so it wasn't like there were no callers up there.  But it
> was amazing the number of guys who kept calling up 1 even though I didn't work
> ANYONE there.

I had the same experience while working 30m CW from J3 some years
back. For some reason one night the pileup was just huge, tons of EU,
and I managed it by sending "UP 1" and working folks who were up 2.
For three hours I never ran out of people to work.

I have only "been DX" twice in my life, but even with that limited
experience I quickly learned to appreciate the difficulties of  life
on the "other side" of the pileup. I wish every DXer could spend an
hour there.

73,
Doug, K4DSP