Re: [RTTY] CQ-Contest SO2R

To: rtty@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [RTTY] CQ-Contest SO2R
From: Jay <ws7i@ewarg.org>
Date: Fri, 14 Sep 2007 08:06:25 -0700
The annual debate starts again.

Good points Jay.  However, I will add one point. There is no way to ever
equalize a radio contest.  If we had
SO1R then we would have to have SOnoYagi, SO_50_foot lot, SO_QRP. and so
forth and so on.

The fellows who travel to P40 and HC8 and elsewhere do so knowing full well
they will win the contest. Its
why they spend the time, money, and effort.

20 years ago this year and at the bottom of the solar cycle.  The K was 67
and the A was 2 plus all weekend.  You could
work anywhere in the world on 10 meters from HC8.  Thanks to my friend Ted
HC5K for inviting Betsy, Hal and Roy along
with myself to HD8CQ and the first CQWW RTTY contest.

The point of RTTY contesting is to enjoy the event.  I would actually much
rather sip a little Crown with Don, AA5AU, and my friends
Ron K5DJ, and Wayne K7WM while doing a M/M from W5WMU than run a SO2R from
Spokane.

A couple of hints for SO1R guys, try in CQWW a Single band as you are in
competition only with folks in general with one radio.  Also
you can do M/S with packet or a friend with a 10 minute rule in other
contests.