[RTTY] CQ-Contest SO2R

To: <rtty@contesting.com>
Subject: [RTTY] CQ-Contest SO2R
From: "Robert Chudek" <k0rc@pclink.com>
Date: Fri, 14 Sep 2007 18:31:14 -0500
In part, Joe Subich W4TV wrote:

"Not again ... "

Yup, put your waders on, here we go again... :-)

Rant and rave all you want about SO2R being no different than all the other
technologies an operator can use in his/her station, but you continue to sweep
the critical difference under the rug and ignore it completely.

SO2R provides an advantage because it allows you more receiving time than the
SO1R operator. This time is used to search and find new multipliers and
stations to work. When you are transmitting SO1R, you do not have the luxury of
tuning for other stations to work. THAT's the critical advantage.

A CW keyer, a better logger, a higher antenna, more towers, and a big amplifier
don't buy you any extra receiver time. In contesting "time is of the essence".
An SO2R operator gets a couple extra hours of receiver time compared to the
SO1R operator. Is skill involved? Certainly, absolutely! But no one can
manufacture 'extra' time.

Geez, maybe the NFL should allow one of the two teams to run a few plays while
the other team is in the shower during half-time. That's equal? I don't think
so.

73 de Bob - KØRC in MN