Re: [RTTY] CQ-Contest SO2R

To: <rtty@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [RTTY] CQ-Contest SO2R
From: "Tom Moore" <wx4tm@tm-moore.com>
Date: Mon, 17 Sep 2007 15:57:00 -0500
Please consider this:

WHEN ALL ELSE IS EQUAL

Take two identical, extremely competent, expertly skilled SO2R ops with
identical SO2R stations in the same propagional locale (lets just say two
AA5AU's). Drop one back to SO1R only. In 'any' contest then, the SO2R op
will win hands down, by a considerable margin - by as much as 40% according
to AA5AU.  This 'fact' has been acknowledged publicly my most of the top
SO2R ops. To say or suggest otherwise is simply to say they, the real
experts, are wrong.

"When all else is equal", I believe, is the reasoning contest sponsors
implemented the HP and LP categories. Though they failed to consider the
difference between 500, 1000 or 1500 watt amplifiers which I feel sure was
at one time or another a big rub for some contesters. Sponsors didn't
consider these differences, I suspect, simply because of the administrative
burden of making yet additional categories and the time and paperwork to
score the contests (this was way before computerized log checking).

Yes, its very possible for an SO1R op to beat an SO2R op. Being SO2R does
not automatically mean you'll be in the top 10, top 20 or even top 100. What
it does mean is, that when done efficiently, it will increase YOUR score -
significantly. Yes, it takes skill as does the successful competitive use of
any additional station equipment. But its no big secret. Its been proven
time and again that if you can be competitive as SO1R, you will be more
competitive as SO2R when you develop and learn the necessary skills - again,
which is true for the application and use of any new station equipment. Said
another way: If you have the intelligence to be a competitive SO1R op, you
have the ability to acquire the skills to be a competitive SO2R op. You just
don't have to be a rocket scientest to do this. I highly encourage those,
who can, to pursure becoming a competitive SO1R and subsequently SO2R
operator.

When all else is equal

Inevitably it follows: well what about antennas and antenna height. This
might well be a logical concern in some contests, particularly DX contests.
However, I've seen 50' tribanders out perform 100 ft monobanders in
stateside contests due to high vs low angle of radiation. I have also seen
verticals out perform low tribanders for the same reason. Wires have
outperformed verticals and tribanders depending on height, take-off angle
and contest variables etc. And then there's location. East coasts stations
don't need as good antennas as west coast stations when working Europe. And
every body knows about the 'black hole' of the midwest, right? It seems to
me it would be virtually impossible to even come close to defining contest
categories based on antenna type and height.

Contest rules are the sponsors decision. None of them are 'fair' nor will
they ever be. They could not possibly be; simply because of the 'volumes' it
would take to define them. Look at the ARRL's rules which are already
ridiculously lengthy. Some contest sponsors have implemented the 10 min band
change rule while others have implemented the 'expert', 'unlimited' etc
categories. Others have 'assisted' and 'unassisted'. And, thank goodness,
most all are different in one way or another. And, of course, the ole saying
still applies: "If ya don't like the rules, nobody's makin you come to the
game". Others say: "but I do like it but I think the rules need changing a
bit". (Heck, look at congress and the crazy way they make new and change old
laws). Most rules are unenforceable. There's hardly any way to catch anyone
for violation of any rule so everything pretty much has to be on the honor
system. If you think someone's cheating, provide the evidence and demand
they be disqualified.

When all else is equal

In recent years, the use of SO2R has grown significantly. In 2003, I took
1st place CQWPX RTTY USA SOABLP and CQWW RTTY North America SOABLP both
running SO1R. Both were a fluke because most of the SO2R top dogs ran in the
HP or assisted categories. In 2004, I made it up to 3rd place SOABLP SO1R in
the ARRL RTTY Roundup. I certainly don't consider myself to be a great or
expert operator, just a tad above good. But now its more abundantly clear
than ever. If I want to be competitive in the Single Op category, I'm going
to have to move up to the SO2R capability. I'm in the process of doing that
now but not because I think I can be more competitive. I've already done it
with dummy loads, radios, software and computer. But the remaining problems
are costs involved with buying amplifiers, tower, antenna, SO2R box, filters
or building effective stubs, getting as much antenna separation as possible,
etc. Will I ever be a competitive SO2R opr. Not likely. Not because I'm not
smart enough or don't have the money to acquire the equipment I think I need
or want; but more importantly, because I'm just plain ole gettin old! I
don't have the eye/hand coordination I  did just a year or two ago; can't
stay awake for even a 24 hr event; and all the other 'old people' reasons.
But I'll have fun and who knows, I might even be a bit competitive in a few
contests a year. But as someone recently quoted somebody else at Dayton this
year, "contesting is for young folks"!

When all else is equal

Yes, I believe there should be separate SO1R, SO2R categories. I'm not
against SO2R. I'm probably one of the biggest admirers and supporters of
SO2R.  I don't understand why some people are taking this subject so
personally. Nor do I understand what the big deal is. Its a very simple
addition of just one category. With today's computerized scoring, it'd be
easy. It hurts no one. It leaves out no one. What it does do is raise the
bar for SO1R ops. It just might make them want to try a little bit harder;
get us a few more contestors; and subsequently more QSO's for the SO2R ops.
There's nothing to loose and everything to gain!

Everybody has an opinion. Opinions are free. I respect people's opinion as
long as they don't personally attack or slander anyone else's opinion. When
you google my callsign WX4TM, also google my ex call KL7Q. You'll see I've
participated in a lot of RTTY contests; not as many as some, but alot. As
you do, google the calls and ex calls of the experts who have strenuously
approved or opposed separate SO1R SO2R categories on this reflector and be
curious about what and why these opinions are what they are or seem to be.
Do they (or I for that matter) really know what we're talking about?  HI HI
You draw your own opinion....When all else is equal

73

Happy Contesting, see ya in CQWW - if I can stay awake long enough

Tom WX4TM