Re: [RTTY] CQ-Contest SO2R

To: rtty@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [RTTY] CQ-Contest SO2R
From: Michael Keane K1MK <k1mk@alum.mit.edu>
Date: Tue, 18 Sep 2007 09:29:40 -0400
At 10:38 PM 9/17/2007, Jay wrote:

>At 04:51 PM 9/17/2007 -0700, Jim Reisert AD1C wrote:
>
> >Second, I can't think of any contests that limit band changes for single
> >operators.  Many contests limit band changes for multi-operator
> categories to
> >prevent those stations from acting like multi-multi "octopus" stations.
>
>But as to your statement band changes for multi-operator categories to
>prevent them from acting like MM octopus stations which was the answer to
>M/S in CQWW a long time ago to "limit technology" and/or all the rest of
>the things that people have been discussing around these reflectors for
>five years.  What's the difference?  In fact the 10 mintue rule came into
>being specifically to limit M/S operations.

In CQWW DX there was originally only a single "Multi-Operator"
operator category (this is CQWW  CW/Phone, as this was long before
there was a CQWW RTTY). Obviously the highest scoring stations in
multi-operator were the ones that used multiple transmitters.
Eventually, a M/S category was added to CQWW and what had been
multi-operator became known as M/M. The 10-minute rule and the
multiplier station were provided as a definition of the single
transmitter category.

There were problems with the "octopus" in the multi-operator category
in other contests, most notably some ARRL contests. And 10-minute
timers or band changes per hour were adopted by ARRL and other
sponsor as an objective and verifiable method to specify one transmitter.

Again looking at the history, in CQWW not only M/S but also the M/2
category were created as restricted subsets of the historical
multi-operator category, i.e. M/M.

The parallel for an SO1R category defined by band changes seems rather obvious.

73,
Mike K1MK

Michael Keane K1MK
k1mk@alum.mit.edu