Re: [RTTY] N1MM and MMTTY setup

To: rtty@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [RTTY] N1MM and MMTTY setup
From: Tad Danley <tdanley@verizon.net>
Date: Thu, 03 Jan 2008 07:35:16 -0600
Tad Danley wrote:

> Any suggestions on things to check out?  Thanks in advance!

I got several offers to help with requests for more info - thank you!  I
am able to TX RTTY OK and diddle, but in RX 99% of what I print is
garbage.  I am tuning _very_ slowly and am able to get the internal RTTY
decoder in my ProII to print just fine.  I have tried selecting the
Reverse button in MMTTY but it doesn't make any difference.  Here are
some more details.

I'm using N1MM v 7.12.4.  The microKEYER is running USB router 5.1.1.  I
have used N1MM with the microKEYER for just over a year, and everything
works great for CW and SSB.  The rig and N1MM talk to each other fine
and I am able to send CW from N1MM using WinKey built in to the
microKEYER, and send wav files from the sound card is SSB.

Here are some of my RTTY settings:

ProII:
set to 9600 baud
RTTY mode
AGC Fast
RTTY filter ON
As I mentioned before, the RTTY decoder in the ProII works fine - I was
able to print the W1AW RTTY bulletin last night on the ProII scope.

USB router:
set to 9600 baud
Radio on Com 6
FSK on Com 7 with PTT box checked
Winkey on Com 8
Ausdio switching for FSK/digital set to BBB
PTT for FSK/digital set to PTT2 (rear panel jack)

N1MM:
set to 9600 baud
Radio on Com 6
Com 7 has Digital and CW/Other buttons selected with DTR = always off
and RTS = PTT
Digital Interface 1 TU type = sound card
Digital Interface 1 MMTTY has FSK selected
As I mentioned before, everything seems to tune OK.  I can tune on a
signal, see the signal level, waterfall and XY tuning indicator appear
to work, but I don't get a really clean XY pattern.  The signal level
seems to be fine, well above the squelch setting in MMTTY and sometimes
full scale.

MMTTY:
Demodulator: Discriminator set to IIR resonator, Mark = 2125 Hz, Shift =
170 Hz, BPF and AFC Connection both selected
AFC: AFC selected and Shift = Fixed
Decode: baud rate = 45.45, bit rate = 5, stop length = 1 bit for RX, 1.5
for TX, parity = none, default RX stop bit = 1 bit for RX, 1.5 for TX,
BAUDOT codeset = S-Bell
Misc: Soundcard FIFO RX = 12 and TX = 4, Priority = Higher, Device = 1,
Source = Mono, sound loopback = Int.

Thanks again for the help!

Tad Danley, K3TD
EM10dq