[RTTY] Comments on TX5C RTTY Operations

To: RTTY Reflector <rtty@contesting.com>, CTDXCC List <ctdxcc@kkn.net>
Subject: [RTTY] Comments on TX5C RTTY Operations
From: Dick Kriss <aa5vu@sbcglobal.net>
Date: Wed, 12 Mar 2008 11:18:11 -0500
On 11-March-08 the TX5C operation came up on 20 meter
RTTY and was signing with "UP EU" and it seemed to be going
well for a long time. When the operator changed to "UP NA",
it became a total mess.  US stations (with call signs that
should know better) were trying to get he operator's attention
by calling on his transmit frequency.  What part of "UP NA" do
they not understand?  After what seemed like a long time,
the zoo finally settled down.

It was interesting to see stations like, W7AY with wire antennas
and 100 watts, making contact with TX5C in the middle of the
big guns.  One of the challenges of dxing is understanding what
is meant by UP and where to best transmit. Chen W7AY was
obviously doing it right.  At first I put my xmit up 5 from where
I was printing TX5C and that was not working.  I then started
using my Kenwood TF-SET and A/B buttons and noticed TX5C
was working most up about 10.  I change to up about 10 and
worked TX5C after a number of calls.  I would like to say it was
easy, but it wasn't.

I have often wondered if it is better to camp on one Tx
frequency and wait for the DX station to tune to you or to
tail end on the last call worked? Both strategies seem to work
and I guess it depend what the operator means when he says
UP.  The old rule to listen seems to be the best advice.

Thanks to the TX5C operation Clipperton Island on RTTY is now
just DX for me.  I hope the RTTY "greenie" shows up in the
next day or so in the online log at
<http://www.clipperton2008.org/logsearch/>.

73 Dick AA5VU

Rare DX are the countries you have not worked. Once
worked they are just DX.