Re: [RTTY] Comments on TX5C RTTY Operations

To: "'Dick Kriss'" <aa5vu@sbcglobal.net>
Subject: Re: [RTTY] Comments on TX5C RTTY Operations
From: "Nelson Moyer" <ku0a@mchsi.com>
Date: Wed, 12 Mar 2008 11:45:04 -0500
Speaking of RTTY 'greenies' (and not the check marks in the online log),
FO0AAA was my very first ever RTTY QSO. I was using an FT-707 with the
FV-707DM, the PK232MBX, and a Macintosh IIsi computer at the time. I
programmed the RTTY keying functions and the call and exchange macros as Mac
Quick Keys and managed to break a split pileup for that first RTTY QSO. I
was sweating bullets and busier than a one-armed paper hanger during that
contact, and I'll never forget it. Having cobbled together a system that put
the FT-707 on RTTY (not recommended with the FT-707 due to the fragile power
transistors), I regretted not getting on earlier, because I missed some
mega-DX'peditions that I may never have another opportunity to work.

That was 8 years ago, and now I'm using the FT-100, DXP38, and Windows XP
machine. I've managed to work 295 on RTTY in that 8 years, but RTTY honor
roll looks like a slim possibility because of those missed DX'peditions
before 2000. At least most recent DX'peditions have placed a priority on
RTTY, in contrast to the distant past when it was an afterthought.

Oh yes, and according the latest Lisagram information, my K3 is about 1
month away! I'm finally getting a REAL DX'ing radio.

Nelson, KU0A