Re: [RTTY] CQWW exchange

To: Kok Chen <chen@mac.com>
Subject: Re: [RTTY] CQWW exchange
From: "Bill, W6WRT" <dezrat1242@yahoo.com>
Date: Tue, 30 Sep 2008 15:25:17 -0700
You raise a very good question, although I don't consider manual dupe
checking a "skill". A person with no knowledge of radio at all could
do that.

So, what do we have left?

1. Propagation knowledge. What band to work and when, and perhaps more
importantly, when to give up and change bands.
2. Macros. Getting the "perfect" macro is half the fun, to me anyway.
It's like a contest within a contest.
3. Timing. When to call, when  not to call.
4. Radio control. Using RIT, bandwidth selection, spectrum display and
all the other bells and whistles.
5. And finally, developing one's radio "instincts". I can't define it,
but all good operators know it when they see it. Some folks become
almost like a part of the radio and other folks never get it at all.

How's that? I am sure more could be added.

73, Bill W6WRT