Re: [RTTY] TARA RTTY Melee - Dec 6

To: RTTY Reflector <rtty@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [RTTY] TARA RTTY Melee - Dec 6
From: Kok Chen <chen@mac.com>
Date: Tue, 25 Nov 2008 10:02:43 -0800
On Nov 25, 2008, at 11/25    9:14 AM, Bill, W6WRT wrote:

> Band plans exist for good reason. Please, let's use them.

Could you please repeat this to RTTY ops before a major RTTY
contest?  I keep encountering QRM from RTTY stations in the tiny 2
kHz sliver that 20m PSK uses.  There is a lot of space above 14105,
but instead of pruning their antennas, the RTTY ops like to run at
14071 instead.

Now - tongue out of cheek: there is a very simple (notice that I
didn't say justifiable) reason why people do that.  There will be
people who abides by band plans even during a contest -- that makes
those parts of the band more QRM free for the ones who have less
scruples.

Notice that it seems to always be the case of stronger stations
throwing their weight around.  Kilowatt RTTY on top of 20 watt PSK,
CW with 160m Half Squares on top of RTTY with a city lot antenna.

The next time you hear complaints from low power PSK stations during
an RTTY contest, perhaps you will have greater compassion.

73
Chen, W7AY