Re: [RTTY] Good Observations in RTTY RU

To: "'Steve **KT0DX**'" <kt0dx@comcast.net>, <rtty@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [RTTY] Good Observations in RTTY RU
From: "Alex" <kr1st@amsat.org>
Date: Mon, 5 Jan 2009 20:33:54 -0500
Steve **KT0DX** wrote:

> On others the trash was right next to the last letter in the call and I
> would get something like KH6JM KH6JMGdEdl.  Now which call was correct
> the KH6JM or the KH6JMG.  If both are in the master call data base they
> are going to both show up as good.

The extra space is a good suggestion. I add the extra space to my call, too,
although quite a number of folks logged me as KR1S instead of KR1ST. Both
calls are in the master call database and both are valid callsigns. Reliance
on the call master database can be dangerous at times.

> This would be a good time saver over the course of the
> contest.

Another good time saver is to log duplicates instead of trying to tell the
other station it's a dupe contact.

You don't get penalized for dupes in your log for most contests as far as I
know. And obviously if I'd be a dupe to you, then you are not in my log, so
the first contact in your log is invalid anyway. It really gets bad when
folks not only say it's a dupe, but even tell you the date and time of the
first contact. What are they trying to prove? Or do they really think I'm
going to manually enter a contact in the midst of a contest? Heck no, I
rather skip you and work someone else. (can you tell it's one of my pet
peeves in contesting? :) ). The funny thing is that you see seasoned
contesters doing this "you're a dupe" thing. Really, just work the
duplicate. And if you really feel you have to massage your log, drop the
first time you logged a station on that band and all is fine.

Good suggestions, Steve.

73,
--Alex KR1ST
http://www.kr1st.com