Re: [RTTY] Good Observations in RTTY RU

To: "Steve **KT0DX**" <kt0dx@comcast.net>
Subject: Re: [RTTY] Good Observations in RTTY RU
From: "Dick-w0raa" <w0raa@comcast.net>
Date: Mon, 5 Jan 2009 20:34:07 -0700
I agree with what you say, Steve.  Especially the comment about sending your
own call at the end of the report you send the other station.

I had stations send me the following: W0RAA 599 AL AL W0RAA.  Makes no
sense.  A few years ago I noticed this habit and decided that the station I
was working probably knew I was sending a report to him.  So, I changed my
report to read: KT0DX 599 CO CO W0RAA.  That way you know it was directed at
you and I was the station sending it.  I never had a repeat on the call,
except when in Run Mode and there was QRM on the frequency.

I certainly appreciate all the stations that sent me 599 and NOT 5NN as some
did.  Also, thanks to the stations who spelled out TEXAS and GEORGIA and
MICHIGAN, because they probably figured that nobody would know what they
meant if they sent TX, GA or MI.  I'm in the contest to make as many Q's as
possible.  So, I don't need to see "HI DICK - UR 5NN in the QTH of MICHIGAN
AND THE NAME HERE IS BILL".  Just give me a 599 MI MI and let me get on to
the next one.  I know many of these folks are new, and I didn't say anything
to them, but I figured the more they got involved in this great Radio Sport
of Contesting, the more they would become aware that less is better.  It's
OK to be polite, but let's keep it simple in a contest.  My macros have
become much shorter over the years, and I hope that those I have a Q with
appreciate it.  If I need a repeat, I have a macro that simply says "AGN
PSE?" or "STATE?" or "NR?", and I can use that to get the info and send out
the info so their logs are correct.  And they should read the rules.

Other than that I we had our best RTTY RU results in several years, and we
have a feeling we may have taken First in the Rocky Mountain Division again
for this one, just like the last 2 years.  Hey, you have to live in hopes.
:)

I have not had the pleasure of attending the Dayton Contest University and
doubt that my health will allow me to attend it this year.  Maybe, "Good
Lord Willing" 2010 will allow me to go back to Dayton.  If my health
improves before this years event, maybe I'll give it a try, but no plans are
being made as yet.  I have heard and read all the reports on the Contest
University and I know that nobody could walk away from it without picking up
some good pointers and new techniques.

All in all it was another fun contest.

Dick
W0RAA