Re: [RTTY] Good Observations in RTTY RU

To: "Robert Chudek - K0RC" <k0rc@pclink.com>, "Alex" <kr1st@amsat.org>, "'Steve **KT0DX**'" <kt0dx@comcast.net>, <rtty@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [RTTY] Good Observations in RTTY RU
From: "Alex" <kr1st@bellsouth.net>
Date: Tue, 06 Jan 2009 20:09:05 +0000
Robert Chudek - K0RC" wrote:

> Alex suggested:
> > Really, just work the duplicate. And if you really feel
> > you have to massage your log, drop the first time you
> > logged a station on that band and all is fine.

<snip>

> This will create a problem! In reality, KR1ST actually worked Chuck, KØRF
> but due to all the QRM, it decoded into my callsign instead. If KR1ST
> removes that first contact, KØRF is going to take a penalty of "Not in
> (KR1ST) log" when the logs are processed.
>
> If the first KØRC is NOT removed, then KØRF will get credit for the contact.
> KR1ST will not get credit for that contact (the first KØRC is a busted
> call).

Granted, I only recently started RTTY contest more serious, but some contests
organizers will penalize you for a busted call. So removing it from your log
can be beneficial. I don't know if that's the case for the RU though. I guess
that's why folks massage the log after the contest. (make note of your QRZ.com
lookup count before the contest and check it again after the contest)

Besides, if K0RF didn't tell me to correct the call (or work me again) when I
came back to him with his wrong call at the start AND end of the exchange, then
perhaps he deserves to be penalized.

> As you can see, there is risk involved when going back and messing with a
> contest log.

Yep, and that's why I never do it, and said "if you really feel you have to...".

73,
--Alex KR1ST
http://www.kr1st.com
http://www.airlinkexpress.org