Re: [RTTY] macros

To: <kt_7g_macro@comcast.net>
Subject: Re: [RTTY] macros
From: "J. Edward \(Ed\) Muns" <w0yk@msn.com>
Date: Mon, 16 Feb 2009 18:42:34 -0800
> I was trying to hack the macro sequence to send the received number back
> on the exchange like some were doing.  It was a great double check. I Did
> not figure it out yet however.

A number of stations do this but I do not recommend it, especially in the
conditions we had this weekend.  If you send your serial number twice in a
row and the other station receives it the same each time, that gives very
high certainty and no more needs to be discussed.  It's his responsibility
to ask for a repeat if he is uncertain.  You should know what serial number
you sent.  ;>)

In poor band conditions, it is even more important to only send the
information necessary to increase the probability and minimize the time
taken to transfer the information.  When a station asks for CALL? or NR?,
send only that piece of information 2-3 times.

Now, having said this (for those interested in efficient contest exchanges),
we all should be patient with and accommodate the new and/or casual
participants who are adding QSOs to our logs even though they may not be
following the protocol some of us think is "right".  Without these stations,
scores will be much less and we all have less fun.  There are far more of
these participants than serious contesters.

Ed - P49X (W0YK)