[RTTY] Calibration Check with W1AW RTTY Bulletin

To: RTTY Reflector <rtty@contesting.com>
Subject: [RTTY] Calibration Check with W1AW RTTY Bulletin
From: Dick Kriss <aa5vu@arrl.net>
Date: Tue, 03 Mar 2009 18:59:52 -0600
I just tuned across the W1AW RTTY bulletin and decided to
check my frequency calibration. I had solid copy with the
Kenwood TS-570S display reading 14.096.99 with the rig
in LSB with my RTTY software using a 2000 Hz 170 tone
split.  My Mark-One eyeball would call that 14.095.0
(14.096.99 ­ 2000 Hz).

I got confused when I changed to the FSK mode and had
to tune the VFO to 14.095.71 to get solid print. Per a previous
discussion with the W1AW Station Manager I understand
W1AW transmits RTTY in AFSK to be copied by rigs in FSK
mode at 14.095.00.

The fact that my FSK reading was off by 0.71 Hz was
bugging me until I realized I had the CW filter activated
and optimized to center the Mark and Space for LSB.

Something tells me W1AW would have been very close to
14.095 in RTTY mode with with the LSB-CW filter off.

Try it sometime.... better than listening to the frequency
cops in SSB pileups.

73 Dick AA5VU