Re: [RTTY] Calibration Check with W1AW RTTY Bulletin

To: RTTY Reflector <rtty@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [RTTY] Calibration Check with W1AW RTTY Bulletin
From: Dick Kriss <aa5vu@att.net>
Date: Wed, 04 Mar 2009 15:05:02 -0600
Bob K4QHH,

Like I indicated in my note W1AW transmits in AFSK with an offset
that makes it sound like a FSK signal with a Mark at 14.095.00.  They
are usually pretty close. They do this way so rigs in FSK will just have
to tune to 14095 to find the W1AW broadcast.

The 2125 Hz with a 170 shift is the normal US standard.  I use
AFSK LSB with 2000 Hz and 170 shift because my brain has a hard
time mentally subtracting 2125 Hz from my rig's dial display.  It
is just easier for me to look a the rig and if I am printing the guy
at 14.087.52, I log the QSO at 14.085.52 or if I wanted to spot the
QSO on the cluster I would just enter 14085.5.

This is why I print the W1AW RTTY bulletin with the rig frequency
display of 14.097.00 that is really centered on the W1AW's Mark
at 14.095.00.

Some of the newer rigs take care of the AFSK offset for you. I
still use the orphaned Kenwood TS-570S because I like it.

It really does make too much difference what tone you use as long
as you have the correct shift.  I know some that use 1500 Hz with
170 to be able to center there filters.

Mine works best at 2000 Hz with the 170 shift

73 Dick AA5VU
Triple Play #122