Re: [RTTY] NAQP RTTY Frequencies

To: <captcurt@flash.net>, "'Shelby Summerville'" <k4ww@arrl.net>
Subject: Re: [RTTY] NAQP RTTY Frequencies
From: "Ed Muns" <w0yk@msn.com>
Date: Thu, 5 Mar 2009 07:19:41 -0800
To my mind this discussion is about "organized courtesy".  The basic
underlying principle is to not interfere with ongoing use of a frequency.
In the case of CW and RTTY, their sub-bands co-exist over a large range and
some countries, e.g., Japan, have their entire digital sub-band embedded in
what we usually consider the prime part of the CW sub-band on 40 meters.  So
there needs to be a lot of give and take depending on what contests and
other band use is going on.  If both CW and RTTY contests are running at the
same time, the CW folks tend to retreat lower and hopefully the RTTY
contesters try to stay as high as practical, but inevitably there will be
overlap in situations like that.

In the case of PSK, they operate a very narrow portion of the band.  Shelby
said 069-073, but I seldom find them outside of 070-071.  So, I think it is
a lot easier to avoid them, even in a major RTTY contest.  The problem is
mostly about thinking beyond one's self and being aware.

Ed - W0YK