Re: [RTTY] NAQP RTTY Frequencies

To: "'RTTY Reflector'" <rtty@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [RTTY] NAQP RTTY Frequencies
From: "Eric - VE3GSI" <ve3gsi@sympatico.ca>
Date: Thu, 5 Mar 2009 23:11:31 -0500
Shelby and the RTTY Gang,

I know there have been other e-posts on this subject, with most, if not all
objecting to the 'off-limit' frequencies in question. As far as I know the
NAQP contest would NOT be the first to implement the disqualification rule
for working outside the recommended frequency range. The IOTA contest
sponsors give a list of frequencies that will potentially get you
disqualified if you operate in those areas on the band.  See part 3. and 9.
of the IOTA rules:

http://www.vhfcc.org/hfcc/rules/2009/riota.shtml

Myself, and I am sure many others do 'try' and stay off the beacon
frequencies, but when running S&P, mistakes do happen as I don't always read
the dial frequency when searching for a contest Q. Since the beacon
frequency is only one spot on the band, I really wish there was a better way
to better penalize a station for an error then total disqualification. As
far as I know, there is no possible way for me or others to lock out a
single frequency on the band to prevent accidental transmissions.

How about the RTTY Op's that use AFSK for modulation? With most rigs, these
chaps may see the correct RTTY mark frequency on the radio dial. I am sure
that I have several hundred QSL cards to prove my point and with those
stations a guard frequency of 1 KC would not be practical.

My question to the beacon fellows. I know in certain cases like the MARS
traffic net, Radio Ops can get permission to operate outside of the Amateur
Radio Bands, I am guessing to avoid QRM. Could the beacon guys not get the
same absolution and operate just below the bottom of the bands?

I don't have a problem with the PSK frequencies, same for CW and other modes
as there is enough activity with them to 'wake-me-up' and move the dial. To
be honest, I have never heard a beacon signal nor would not even recognize
one if I did.

As for Shelby and the rest of the NAQP RTTY gang, thanks for the fun contest
and most likely I will go with whatever decisions you good people make in
future contests. I am sure you will be fair to all involved.

For everyone else, I hope to print you in the contest - I need all the Q's I
can get.

GL,
Eric - VE3GSI