[RTTY] Two NA Sprint Questions

To: <RTTY@contesting.com>
Subject: [RTTY] Two NA Sprint Questions
From: "David Levine" <david@levinecentral.com>
Date: Sun, 15 Mar 2009 08:44:37 -0400
Last night was my first NA Sprint and it was definitely different.  At the
start I watched a couple of exchanges to see how it flowed (wasn't able to
be in the practice session) and then jumped in. From a few interactions I
had it might have helped some others to watch a couple exchanges.  And it
seemed that some ops (a small number) didn't know they were supposed to
relinquish the frequency or that they were supposed to take the frequency.

Not sure why with what seemed to me a relatively small number of stations
that everyone had to be on top of each and even overlapping signals at
times.  Even with a tight filter I couldn't knock out the other station so
I'm sure those without tight filters just moved to another frequency.

So here's my first question.. An odd part of the whole exchange is the final
confirmation.  The CQ station sends their report. The new station sends
their report. What happens next was either the CQ station confirmed and said
QSY or another station would immediately call the new station and I wouldn't
see a confirmation from the previous CQ station.  I think there were 2 times
this happened that the original CQing station needed to come back in the
middle of the next exchange and ask for the info again.  How *should* it all
work?

My second question is that I had 4 stations work me that had previously
worked me and I'm wondering why. The rules state you can only work the same
station once per band. It could be that they were just putting their call
sign out there thinking it was the other station that was previously on the
frequency when it was me or it could be that they thought it was ok to work
me again? I used N1MM and it said it was dupe as soon as the callsign was
entered or it showed on the band map or the digital window. Is other
software not updated to indicate a station was already worked in this
contest? I worked all 4 stations again and then QSYed.  The down side is I
didn't get to a work a new station.

Thoughts and comments?
K2DSL - David