Re: [RTTY] Two NA Sprint Questions

To: "'Iain MacDonnell - N6ML'" <ar@dseven.org>
Subject: Re: [RTTY] Two NA Sprint Questions
From: "Ed Muns" <w0yk@msn.com>
Date: Sun, 15 Mar 2009 11:08:13 -0700
I strongly agree with you, Iain.  The 'CQ' or 'QRZ' at the end is a "RTTY
thing" carried over from the RTTY CQ messages where common practice over the
years has been to end such messages with CQ or QRZ.  Like you, I think it is
a confusing practice, but I've caved in to what seems to be popular
practice.  Maybe its time for us to start retraining ourselves.  It has sort
of worked OK on RTTY because the pace has been slower than CW and SSB, but
more and more our RTTY contests are getting every bit as snappy on the QSOs
as the other modes.  Now, this practice is becoming a big problem.

One example of why this is a bad practice is if I just tune across your QSO
and hear "... N6ML CQ", then I will dump my call sign in immediately when
your carrier drops.  But if that snippet was the end of your EXCHANGE to a
station who needs a fill, or you would like to hear their 'TU' as
confirmation, then I've just QRM'd your QSO.

I'm all for an immediate campaign for everyone to eliminate CQ, etc. from
the end of their S&P exchanges.  What say all?

Ed - W0YK