Re: [RTTY] RTTY Contesting and Verticals

To: <rtty@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [RTTY] RTTY Contesting and Verticals
From: "Amos, Ian" <ian.amos@sap.com>
Date: Fri, 27 Mar 2009 11:02:28 -0400
I agree with John.  Do not give up on a verticals if it will fit the
bill for your location.  When I started back in radio in 2003 after
years of being away I did not know where my interest would be so I
bought the Hygain AV-640 Patriot all band vertical 6m - 40m.  The 640
has a counterpoise which helps but as always the more radials the
better.  I found with only a few radial that I could work most station
that I heard with 100 watts on CW and RTTY.  SSB was a lot tougher.  40
meters did however present some challenges to work the weaker stations
but if I stood in line I could make contact.  Having 2 dogs running
around the antenna in the backyard was a problem so I put the vertical
up on a 30 foot tower. To my surprise the antenna actually works better
overall on all bands.  A friend of mine has the Butternut HF6V mounted
at 20 feet with 4 radials on the roof - 2 for 40m and 2 for 20m and has
similar results as me.  Vertical are generally more noisy than
horizontal antennas but there are ways around that issue as well.  All
these produced over 19000 QSO, mostly RTTY contesting with my old call
VE3ESH, DXCC, WAS and 36 Zones.  Being tired of standing line I have
since put a small beam up at 45 feet and have the an Alpha Delta Sloper
for 40 thru 160.  The sloper is a real fire cracker for me and has beat
all my other 160 or 80 m antennas that I have tried over the years.  It
is generally better on 40 m within North America but the vertical still
generally wins on DX.

As always, ask a few hams a question and get many opinions .... Good
luck with your project and see you on the bands

Ian
VE3JI