Re: [RTTY] RTTY Contesting and Verticals

To: "Barry" <w2up3@verizon.net>, "RTTY List" <rtty@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [RTTY] RTTY Contesting and Verticals
From: "John Barber GW4SKA" <ska@bartg.org.uk>
Date: Fri, 27 Mar 2009 22:15:09 -0000
Given a choice between stacked TH7s and my verticals, maybe the beams would
win!

In the real world of many contesters, especially beginners, not many will
have the space or the cash for big towers and beams. Verticals offer an
alternative and cost next to nothing to build. The only commercial antenna
that I have ever bought was a multi-band trapped vertical; very expensive
with an 80M add-on. The first time I showed it some power the traps burnt
out! It taught me to stick with single band quarter waves which will stand
the abuse.

It's surprising that nobody has mentioned the different requirements of
antenna systems for contesting or DXing. Stacked monobanders would be great
for beating the dx station pile-up; contesting is a different game. Big gain
comes at the expense of coverage. That's why it is a little unfair to
compare the performance of a beam, in one direction, with an omnidirectional
antenna. Yes, I know that's how gain is measured and quoted, but it's not
the whole story.

Cheers,

John GW4SKA.