Re: [RTTY] RTTY Contesting and Verticals

To: RTTY List <rtty@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [RTTY] RTTY Contesting and Verticals
From: Barry <w2up3@verizon.net>
Date: Fri, 27 Mar 2009 19:58:47 +0000
When I first set up my SO2R station, I had a pair of TH7s stacked.  To
minimize potential interactions, I put up a ground-mounted Hygain
vertical about 200 ft from the tower.  A dummy load worked better!

I remember calling a KP4 on 15m and I got beat out by everyone, and I
was running high power.  I couldn't get through until nobody else was
calling.  Sooo, I put a third TH7 on the tower at 25 feet (yes, 25 feet)
fed separately from the stack.  I did A/B comparisons vs. the vertical,
and the average difference was 6 S-units.  After that experience, I
swore off (and at) verticals for the high bands.

73,
Barry W2UP

--

Barry Kutner, W2UP             Newtown, PA