[RTTY] ARRL RTTY

To: <rtty@contesting.com>
Subject: [RTTY] ARRL RTTY
From: "Hank Lonberg" <kr7x1@verizon.net>
Date: Tue, 05 Jan 2010 16:28:41 -0800
Jim and others:

I think the addition of MM to this test would be a great move
forward for the RTTY community. It would bring in more players
and in the long run more active participants in other RTTY
tests due to the exposure to the mode by the MM operators.
This is a good thing.

As far as a separate class for SO2R I don't agree that this is
a valid argument, should there be a WPM limit in CW Mode or
classes for say LT 15 wpm > 40 wpm. The push to level the
playing field will not help the geographic or antenna farm
advantage not to mention propagation. One can, with the proper
radio, do SO2V and almost have the same preceived advantage of
S/P on the second VFO while running the other VFO. In this
case, there is only 1 radio. Let us allow for the innovation
and growth of the technology of the mode and stop wishing for
mechanical RTTY machines to make a come back.

I operated SO2R and admit that at certain times it was
advantageous, and for about the same time, a disadvantage. I
got focused on running rate and didn't look for needed mults.
There were SO1R stations who bested my score and they were on
the west coast or in the southwest let alone be on the east
coast. Nothing beats location and aluminum high in the air for
performance results in a DX contest.

I congratulate Don for his award and mentoring to RTTY
contesters. I too, learned the basics of contesting in this
mode from his excellent web sites. I also congratulate Ed,
P49X, for his outstanding effort from Aruba. I suggest, Jim,
that you listen to these two operators work the mode and join
in the fun of SO2R.

Ciao and 73

Hank / KR7X