Re: [RTTY] USOS Question

To: RTTY Reflector <rtty@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [RTTY] USOS Question
From: Kok Chen <chen@mac.com>
Date: Wed, 27 Jan 2010 09:19:20 -0800
Phil N8PS wrote:

> USOS TX off  USOS RX off     USOS TX off USOS RX on

Phil, I don't think you will find many people who turn USOS on for
receive but turn it off for transmit and vice versa.  As an example,
cocoaModem does not even allow you to do that (USOS is a "universal
preference" that is applied to both receive and transmit directions in
cocoaModem), perhaps there are software that will?

For obvious reasons, transmitting and receiving Mark/Space polarities
in RTTY need to be independently selectable, but in the case of USOS,
I am not sure there is any advantage of using USOS in one direction
and not using USOS in the other direction.  The 16 cases that you
listed show that it a complete mess if people were allowed to
independently use USOS for the two directions.

By the way, the 8th case that you listed is a dupe; you probably meant:

USOS TX off  USOS RX *ON*     USOS TX on  USOS RX on

73
Chen, W7AY