Re: [RTTY] To dash or not to dash - the bottom line

To: RTTY Reflector <rtty@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [RTTY] To dash or not to dash - the bottom line
From: "Bill, W6WRT" <dezrat1242@yahoo.com>
Date: Tue, 26 Jan 2010 12:26:22 -0800
ORIGINAL MESSAGE:

On Tue, 26 Jan 2010 10:03:16 -0800, Kok Chen <chen@mac.com> wrote:

>There could well be, but I haven't found the software that would print
>"mixed shifted" characters.
>
>Perhaps Bill can point to the software decoder that does it (without
>embarassing the software author, that is) .  I am curious to know why
>they would do this, unless it is some maximum a priori (MAP) scheme
>that has gone awry.

REPLY:

I'm not sure what you mean by "mixed shift" characters, but I will be
glad to identify software which solves the whole problem neatly, and
I'm sure the author would not be embarrassed at all.  :-)

The software is RiTTY by K6STI and it solves the problem by printing
the decoded text twice, one line above the other like this:

TOO-QWE-QWE (printed in one color)
599-123-123 (printed in another color)

The print is simultaneous. You just simply click on whichever is
correct. This feature has been in RiTTY for at least a dozen years or
more. Brian was way ahead of his time with this and other features.
His loss to the ham community was enormous.

This is such a simple and effective solution I don't understand why
all software authors don't adopt it.

73, Bill W6WRT