Re: [RTTY] Anyone Have a DXP38 For Sale?

To: "RTTY Reflector" <rtty@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [RTTY] Anyone Have a DXP38 For Sale?
From: "Bill, W6WRT" <dezrat1242@yahoo.com>
Date: Mon, 30 Aug 2010 00:40:27 -0700
ORIGINAL MESSAGE:

On Sun, 29 Aug 2010 20:34:50 -0700, Dick Flanagan K7VC <dick@k7vc.com>
wrote:

>Is there a widely accepted best hardware RTTY decoder?  (Computer
>software and radio left out of the equation for the moment)?

REPLY:

The best hardware decoder I ever used personally was the HAL ST-8000.
I have also used the DXP-38, the KAM (not the pro version) and the AEA
DSP-232.

I ran them all side by side with identical audio feed against each
other and against the software programs MMTTY and RiTTY by K6STI.

My observation was the ST-8000 and RiTTY by K6STI were tied for best
decoding under weak signal conditions, MMTTY was next best, the DXP-38
next, the KAM next and the AEA unit a very poor last.

The AEA DSP-232 was so poor it was pulled off the market very quickly
and disappeared into history. This is NOT the AEA PK-232, which I have
not tested and is far more popular than the DSP-232. How the PK-232
compares to the others I can't say, but a lot of people are still
using it today so it must be fairly good.

Hope this helps.

73, Bill W6WRT