Re: [RTTY] Repeats: State vs Province vs QTH ...

To: <rtty@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [RTTY] Repeats: State vs Province vs QTH ...
From: "Shelby Summerville" <k4ww@arrl.net>
Date: Tue, 11 Jan 2011 15:54:42 -0500
"Case in point, an RST is a required field in some contest exchanges and a
message without it is incomplete."

No disagreement, from me, and it is part of the exchange in Roundup. Since
most logging programs have 599 as a default, I doubt very seriously if
anyone has ever lost a contact, by the log checkers with anything other than
that? Am I to believe that anyone is going to change the default RST, if
they receive something else? When contest sponsors use "it makes no
difference what number is sent, as long as it is the same for the duration
of the contest" in relation to "the last 2 digits of the year of first
license for either the operator or the station" in ARRL Sweepstakes, or when
a name with an "O" in it is sent with a "0" is sent, as part of the
exchange, the explanation is "it is what was meant to be communicated,
rather than what was communicated", I'm not sure about what is correct or
what is incorrect?
I'm also curious as to what difference it makes, other than disrupting a
rhythm, how someone sends their exchange to you? Be grateful that they
called you, log their exchange, send yours to them, make sure they received
it, and move on. I get far more frustrated at the "newbie" SO2R operators
making me wait, while they complete a contact on the other radio! What
difference, other than being politically correct, if a station sends QRZ or
CQ. Either one lets you know that they are ready to receive a call? If they
are looking for a repeat, they will probably send "agn"? I didn't pay
attention to what P49X, or K4GMH (not even sure I worked Mike) were sending,
but it seemed pretty successful, to me?
Is anyone naive enough to think that everyone will operate exactly as you
want them to? Why inundate the reflector with meaningless opinions, that
probably 99% of the subscribers couldn't care less about? If you want to
help someone, that you think is not operating properly, make a note of their
operating style, send them a courteous and helpful email. Not only will it
help them become better operators, you will be surprised at the positive
Being snowed in has it's advantages, as I didn't come home to 100+ useless
emails from this reflector! Most of the comments I have read, especially
concerning operating style, could have been placed in the soapbox section of
the 3830 score posting  http://www.hornucopia.com/3830score/  and been
available for all, not just the reflector subscribers, to read?
Can we all agree, to disagree, agreeably?

C'Ya, Shelby - K4WW