Re: [RTTY] Best MMTTY profile for noise and weak signals?

To: rtty@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [RTTY] Best MMTTY profile for noise and weak signals?
From: "Bill, W6WRT" <dezrat1242@yahoo.com>
Date: Fri, 14 Jan 2011 09:37:30 -0800
ORIGINAL MESSAGE:

On Thu, 13 Jan 2011 08:10:21 -0300, "Stephen/Marilyn Haines"
<steveandmarilynhaines@gmail.com> wrote:

>What available profile in MMTTY would be best for me in these
>conditions?

REPLY:

One of the best approaches, if you want to go to the trouble, is to run
two instances of MMTTY and have them set to different profiles. The
advantage is you don't have to switch between profiles - you have them
both at once. This allows you to compare between many different profiles
over a period of time. You need a moderately fast computer to do this
and I believe you need two separate sound cards. I haven't actually done
this myself, but many others have and they report good results. If you
want to try this, I recommend subscribing to the MMTTY reflector at
Yahoo groups for help with the details.

In my shack I have a separate computer which runs a completely different
program at the same time. That's another option.

Also, Dave, AA6YQ has released a new profile for MMTTY called AA6YQ
FIR512 which is supposed to be super good at weak signals. I will try it
out in the upcoming UK DX contest this weekend. I understand it requires
more critical tuning than other profiles, so be aware. You can download
it from the DXLabs files at Yahoo groups, or email me and I will send it
to you.

Good luck.

73, Bill W6WRT