Re: [RTTY] Best MMTTY profile for noise and weak signals?

To: <dezrat1242@yahoo.com>, "Dick Flanagan" <dick@k7vc.com>
Subject: Re: [RTTY] Best MMTTY profile for noise and weak signals?
From: "Jeff Blaine" <keepwalking188@yahoo.com>
Date: Sat, 15 Jan 2011 14:58:04 -0600
Guys,

The tuning sensitivity comes down to two factors.

First, the 512 refers to the number of "taps" the program uses in its' digital
filtering process.  Just consider a higher number as
equating to a steeper filter skirt wall.

Secondly, the FW number is what actually sets the DSP filter band width.

By clicking on the SHOW button you can see roughly what the filter's passband
will look like.  [Unfortunately, the effect of the
notch is not shown graphically that I can determine.]

With a 512 value, the skirts are very steep - and so you don't get much visual
help if you are close or way off the tuning point.
But it's a combination of the two.

So try both and see how you like it.  You may find the tuning easier with 256,
etc.  For me, I prefer to remain with the 512, and
then adjust the FW depending on band conditions.  When the band is crowded, a
80 number works well.  For less crowded conditions,
tuning is easier at 100 or 150 because that makes the waterfall passband wider.

But you have a trade off here from a theoretical standpoint.  The more narrow
the filter (and more vertical it's skirts), the lower
the useable SNR can be.  However, in a contest environment, speed is a factor
also.  So at some point, the more narrow filter's
sensitivity to tune starts to hurt you with respect to tuning speed.  And given
MMTTY has no "playback" of prior AF, you only get to
see the conversation play out once you are tuned.  In addition, there is some
amount of power in the sidetones which - with a tight
filter - will be cut out as well and will degrade the useable SNR.

73, Jeff ACØC
www.ac0c.com